Volunteer OpportunitiesHelp those who need it most.
Volunteer Opportunities With Verity
Volunteer Program Overview
Volunteering with Verity is both challenging and rewarding. Our volunteers are often working with some of our community’s most vulnerable residents during times of extreme physical and emotional stress. We pride ourselves on providing the best services to our community possible, and doing so means that we set high standards for both our staff and volunteers.
Normally, we offer two distinct volunteer opportunities: Crisis Line Counselor/Victim Advocate and Sexual Assault Prevention Educator. Both require a minimum six-month commitment along with the completion of a 48- or 30-hour training course, respectively. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are only accepting applications for Crisis Line Counselors/Victim Advocates. This is a fully remote volunteer opportunity with virtual training that you can complete in the safety of your home.
Our volunteer positions can be used to fulfill internship requirements at various local colleges and universities.
Crisis Line Counselor / Sexual Assault Victim Advocate
The primary role of our Crisis Line Counselors / Sexual Assault Victim Advocates is to provide telephone and in-person crisis counseling, support, referrals, advocacy, and accompaniment services to survivors of sexual assault, their families and significant others.
Common duties include, but are not limited to: Providing telephone crisis intervention, support, information, and referrals to victims of sexual assault and abuse, their families, and loved ones.
- Providing accompaniment and advocacy services to Verity clients. This can include medical examinations, law enforcement interviews, and court appearances.
- Providing follow-up contact with Verity clients according to their individual needs.
- Documenting call information and submission to Verity within 72 hours. Call documentation can be provided via mail, email, or fax.
- Providing coverage for the weekend and overnight shifts on the crisis line. Please note: Before volunteering on our crisis line, a 48-hour training course is required to receive state certification. Our next training starts on February 1st, 2021. It will be a virtual training to ensure your safety and the safety of Verity staff. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Verity CLC Application
Are you ready to start your volunteer journey with Verity? We are excited to have you join our incredible team of Crisis Line Coordinators! Volunteers are the heart of our community and of Verity. Join today!
Sexual Assault Prevention Educator
~At this time we don’t have any volunteer opportunities in the prevention department due to the shelter in place.~
Sexual Assault Prevention Educators facilitate prevention workshops for students, parents, and staff in Sonoma County schools, as well as educational presentations to the community.
The purpose of these workshops is to empower children and youth, reduce young people’s vulnerability to physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, and provide information about Verity’s services to the Sonoma County community at large.
Common duties include, but are not limited to:
- Co-facilitating workshops within school classrooms, staff agency booths for health and community fairs, and co-facilitate other community education programs.
- Helping students understand and break down the stereotypes and myths surrounding sexual assault.
- Serving as a role model in the classroom by addressing student questions and concerns.
- Conducting individual “talk time” sessions with students following workshops.
- Completing necessary workshop records and CPS reports as needed.
- Attending monthly in-service meetings.
Please note: All volunteers are required to complete 30 hours of free training on sexual assault prevention, classroom management, and public speaking prior to facilitating classroom or community workshops.
If you have questions about volunteering that have not been answered on our website, you can contact us here:
Crisis Line Volunteers
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (707) 545-7270 ext. 24
Prevention Educator Volunteers
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (707) 545-7270 ext. 12
We appreciate your interest in Verity. Volunteers are an integral part of our team and we look forward to hearing from you. Please allow up to two business days for a response by phone or email.
Donate to Verity and help our organization grow. We are Sonoma County's sole rape crisis, trauma, and healing center.
Verity promotes a culture that understands our work is about contributing to something greater than ourselves.
Come listen, learn, and laugh with us at one of our upcoming events. We offer classes, workshops, seminars, and more.
Due to Covid-19, we are working remotely. We are still operating within our normal business hours. Please keep this in mind when contacting us, as we may not be immediately available via our office numbers, but will get your call soon. Our crisis line is fully operational so if you have an emergency, please call our crisis line.
If you have an immediate crisis, please call our rape crisis intervention hotline at (707) 545-7273 or call 911 for emergency services.
For all other inquiries about Verity, including the services we provide, upcoming events, or volunteer opportunities, please call (707) 545-7270 or fill out the contact form on this page. We will reply within two business days.