Volunteer Sexual Assault Prevention Educator
Prevention Educators provide prevention workshops to students, parents, and staff in Sonoma County schools, as well as educational presentations to the community. The purpose of these workshops is to empower children and youth, reduce young people’s vulnerability to physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, and provide information of Verity’s services to the Sonoma County community at large.
As a Prevention Education Volunteer you will be able to:
- Educate youth on effective communication in relationships.
- Educate youth on interpersonal skills to help keep them safe.
- Present the Child Abuse Prevention Program (CAPP) and the Teen Assault Prevention Project (TAPP) in local elementary, middle, and high schools.
- Facilitate workshops regarding dating, communication, and rape awareness to community organizations.
- Work with at-risk youth in Juvenile Hall and Continuation High Schools throughout the county.
All volunteers & interns receive 30 hours of free training on sexual assault prevention, classroom management, and public speaking. You can adjust your volunteer hours to fit internship requirements, or can just volunteer for as much time as you are willing.
- Complete 30-hour Prevention Educator Training
- Co-facilitate workshops within school classrooms, staff agency booths for health and community fairs and co-facilitate other community education programs
- Be able to, after training, help students break down the stereotypes and myths surrounding sexual assault
- Serve as a role model in the classroom by addressing student questions and concerns
- Conduct individual “talk time” sessions with students following workshops
- Complete necessary workshop records and CPS reports (as needed)
- Attend monthly in-service meetings
- Be available during some school hours
- Have an interest in and a commitment to the empowerment of children & youth
- Reliable transportation and insurance
Bonus Qualifications (not needed):
- Previous experience working with children
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the issues of physical, sexual and emotional abuse
- You must commit to at least six months of service
- You must have some availability during school hours
- You must be able to volunteer at least eight hours a month
For more information, please email email@example.com or call Hayly Peacock, Prevention Education Manager, at 707-545-7270 ext. 12