Do you want to report to law enforcement?

Law Enforcement

Should I Report?

Whether or not you want to report your assault to the police is your choice and yours alone. If you are afraid of reporting because you fear you won’t be believed, we are here to advocate for you. If you are afraid of reporting because you have committed crimes, you can still get justice. Here are some benefits of reporting:

  1. Reporting within 72 hours of the assault will allow for valuable evidence to be collected. Should your case be prosecuted, this increases the chances of apprehending the suspect and successfully prosecuting.
  2. Reporting is empowering; it gives survivors a chance to discuss what has happened. Reporting gives survivors back some of their personal control.
  3. Reporting the crime will ensure that medical expenses, including a forensic medical exam and costs for emergency care, may be paid by public compensation funds.
  4. Reporting and prosecuting are essential to sexual assault prevention and the protection of other potential victims by stopping or deterring repeat offenders.
  5. Reporting attests to the fact that sexual assault really happens and that this crime will not be suffered in silence.
  6. Reporting can help support the case of a survivor who had previously reported a crime committed by your own attacker. The information you provide might be just enough to help them close their case and get justice.

If you still aren’t sure whether or not you want to report, call our confidential advocates at (707) 545-7273. We are not able to share anything you tell us unless you give us permission in writing; we are here for you and only you.

If you want to report, the agency that you report to depends on where the crime occurred.

Sonoma: (707) 996 – 3602

Petaluma: (707) 778 – 4370

Cotati: (707) 792 – 4611

Rohnert Park: (707) 584 – 2600

Sebastopol: (707) 829 – 4400

Santa Rosa: (707) 543 – 3595

Windsor:  (707) 565 – 2121

Healdsburg: (707) 431 – 3377

Cloverdale: (707) 894 – 2450

Anywhere else in Sonoma County outside these cities’ city limits: (707) 565 – 8255